Anil Manibhai Naik : From Junior Engineer to Chairman of the company!. A.M. Naik is the Group Chairman of India’s Most Prolific Conglomerate, Larsen & Toubro. He joined the company in 1965 as a Junior Engineer for a meagre salary of ₹670 per month.
Impressed by his work, he was promoted to Assistant Manager within 3 years of joining of the firm!
• AM Naik had a major role in steering L&T to a diversified conglomerate it is today.
L&T under AM Naik :
• Market Cap : ~₹1.40 Trillion
• Revenues : ~₹1.45 Lakh Crore (YoY 8%)
• Profits : ~₹8,894 Cr (YoY 7%)
While building L&T he had quite a few hiccups & challenges to overcome. One of the many challenges was the hostile takeover bids by Ambanis & Kumar Mangalam Birla. Eventually he sustained & saved L&T from the clutches of RIL & Aditya Birla Group.
• His resilience & grit earned Mukesh Ambani & KM Birla’s massive respect. Infact they even launched AM Naik’s biography ‘The Nationalist’ in 2017. L&T played a major role in India’s 1st Nuclear plant, Chandrayaan II, Mars Orbiter Mission & several others!
• AM Naik : ” I’m devoted, committed and married to L&T. Do you know that in my first 21 years in the company, I didn’t take a single day off? My parents were considerate, too. My father passed away on a Sunday, a holiday, and two years later, my mother died on August 15. Even they didn’t want their son to take leave!” AM Naik is awarded by India’s Second Highest civilian Award Padma Vibhushan & also Padma Bhushan.
Even after getting all the awards & enjoying the glory of life, he still works for 16-17 hours a day! AM Naik is truly one of India’s Most underrated Corporate Honcho!